Endometriosis is a common cause of infertility and yet it is often not diagnosed. Here is the fact sheet and statistics about the disorder:
Endometriosis Facts & Statistics
- Most women with endometriosis suffer pain—and present symptoms—up to a full decade prior to diagnosis.
- Approximately 176 million women and girls worldwide suffer from endometriosis; 8.5 million in North America alone.
- Associated costs of the disease are estimated to be a staggering $22 billion annually.
- The average woman is 27 when she is first diagnosed with endometriosis.
- Endometriosis is one of the top three causes of female infertility. While it is one of the most treatable, it remains the least treated.