For our open adoption, our strategy to find a connection with a birth mom included the following:
1. be placed in the agencies “Magic Book of Waiting Parents”
2. tell everyone we know we were looking to adopt
3. walk around the mall late at night hoping some teen mom would randomly approach us and offer to make an adoption plan (not recommended)
4. sit by the phone and wait…
There are more resources out there now to help parents get connected with potential birth mothers. One organization that helps manage the process and focus your efforts is My Adoption Advisor.
They offer three areas of assistance:
1. On-demand and live webinar adoption education courses
2. Adoption Profile Services
3. Advertising & Networking Services
Check out the website for some really valuable information. I wish this had been available years ago when we went through our open adoption process.